Welcome to FYE at San Francisco State University
In transition to university life, first-year students bring with them a foundation of rich personal identities and lived experiences. San Francisco State University partners with staff, faculty, and students to build on these assets, creating an excellent foundation for future learning. During their first-year students will:
develop their own individualized intellectual
identity through access to the rich array of curricular opportunities offered at SF State;
- shape an academic identity of their own by building relationships with students, faculty and staff in multiple communities of learning;
- construct a community identity through engagement with campus and community life;
- navigate institutional structures and processes to develop self advocacy skills;
- identify with the university’s mission and values while finding inspiration in SF State’s rich history and;
- learn to appreciate diverse ways of being, belonging, learning and living, that may be different from their own experiences and identities.
At the core of their first year experience at San Francisco State University, students will be inspired to take an active role in their education because experience teaches.
Accepting Applications for First-Year Seminar Peer Mentors Deadline to apply is May 30, 2019