Academic Senate Policy S86-138
At its meeting of May 6, 1986, the Academic Senate approved the following policy on honors programs:
It is general policy that honors programs must hold students to more exacting requirements than do regular degree programs. Any honors program included in the curriculum at San Francisco State University must include, at a minimum, the following features:
- a. Admission to the program is conditional upon the student's having completed a set of prerequisite courses, or displaying prerequisite skills and knowledge appropriate for the content of the honors program.
- b. Admission to the program is conditional upon the student's having a GPA of B or better both overall and in the major.
- c. At least six units of the coursework in the honors program must be coursework which is more advanced than coursework in the regular degree program. This coursework could consist of enriched sections of existing courses or of specially designed courses.
- d. Each honors program must include at least one undergraduate honors seminar as a required course.
- e. To graduate from the honors program, students must successfully complete an honors thesis or special research or creative honors project.
- f. To graduate from the honors program, students must have a GPA of 3.25 overall, in the major, and in the honors segment of the degree program.
**APPROVED BY PRESIDENT WOO, MAY 9, 1986**