The Application Period for Fall 2022 is closed; please come back in October for Spring 2023 Applications.
Why teach an EXCO course?
There are as many different reasons to teach an EXCO class as there are students who have taught or want to teach. Here are just a few:
- Do you want to challenge yourself to develop organizational and leadership skills?
- Have you wanted to pursue in more depth a part of a course you have taken (answer questions that were raised in the course but not answered?).
- Is there a topic you are passionate about and want to learn more?
- Is there a topic you know little about but want to learn more?
- Would you like to belong to a community of learners who want to change society for the better?
EXCO courses create a space for SF State students to develop leadership skills as they share their voices, backgrounds, and passions in a mutually supportive community of peers. Particularly during the global pandemic, widespread racial justice demonstrations, and remote learning, student-led courses empower all students to practice critical thinking in a variety of topics based on shared knowledge and personal experience, which transforms traditional academia. Ultimately, EXCO teachers develop the topics they teach to engage peers in re-envisioning how the world works through each students’ knowledge.
Look back for Spring 2023 application in October 2022.