Apply to be a First-Year Experience Peer Mentor!
Are you interested in helping first-year students to find success at SF State? Are you interested in improving your public speaking, mentoring, and facilitating skills? Do you want to be mentored by one of our outstanding SF State faculty members? If so, apply to be a First-Year Seminar Area E Peer Mentor!
The Area E Peer Mentor Program is designed to ease the transition of first-year students to San Francisco State University. Each peer mentor will work with a faculty member to create a supportive & enriching Area E class for first-year students in Spring 2022. This is a great opportunity to develop skills and connect with first-year students.
In Fall 2021, First-Year Seminar Area E Peer Mentors must complete the Peer Mentoring Training Course
Employment as a Peer Mentor will begin in Spring 2022. The roles and tasks will include the following:
- Partnering with the faculty mentor to support active learning in the classroom, encourage discussion in class, and facilitate collaborative learning
- Preparing for class by reading and understanding course readings and assignments (time is given during weekly peer mentor meetings).
- Modeling exceptional student behavior and habits, such as participation, facilitating small group discussion, taking notes, and asking questions.
- Conducting community building activities in the classroom, including facilitating icebreakers, cultural energizers, and co-curricular events.
- Planning and facilitating various in-class workshops on topics including time management, study skills, financial literacy (e.g. budgeting), etc.
- Offering students support via email, iLearn, online discussion facilitation, small group facilitation, in-class presentation and discussion facilitation, and extracurricular study groups.
- Informing students about academic deadlines; showing students academic and student services support; encouraging students to get involved in on-campus activities.
- Supporting and facilitating study circles including group assignment preparation outside of class
- Identifying and following-up with at-risk students (e.g. those not completing assignments and those not attending class)
- Meeting with each student throughout the course of the semester.
- Meeting with their faculty mentor weekly (1 hour/week).
- Attending weekly peer mentor meetings (3 hours/week).
- Any other tasks that aim to support the transition and success of first-year students to SF State.
- Have previously completed an Area E/First-Year Seminar course in 2020-2021
- Must be of sophomore standing or higher
- Enrolled for the 2021-2022 academic year
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Commit to a full year (2021-2022) of training (Fall 2021) and employment (Spring 2022)
Once accepted, peer mentors must complete the following in order to be hired:
Enroll and pass the Fall 2021 Peer Mentoring Training Course, AU 400 (3 units), to be offered Fridays 11am-1pm.