First-year Experience at San Francisco State
During 2016-2017, San Francisco State University conducted the Foundations of Excellence (FoE) first-year self-study. Faculty and staff from Academic Affairs and Student Affairs & Enrollment Management provided input throughout the duration of the academic year to determine the barriers to success for our first-year students.
Read the Foundations of Excellence Report
Their key recommendations fell into various categories: Academic and Social Engagement, Advising and Mentoring, Sense of Belonging, Organizational Structures and Bureaucracy, Communications, and Professional Development for Faculty and Staff. Among the high priority recommendations, the FOE steering committee recommended the institutionalizing of the first year experience collaboratively between Academic Affairs and SAEM. In addition, this institutionalization of the first year experience is also part of efforts in terms of the campus Student Success and Graduation Initiative 2025.
Philosophy for the First Year of College at SFSU
In their transition to university life, first year students bring with them a foundation of rich personal identities and lived experiences. San Francisco State University partners with students to build on these assets, creating an excellent foundation for future learning. Students will:
develop their own individualized intellectual
identity through access to the rich array of curricular opportunities offered at SF State;
- shape an academic identity of their own by building relationships with students, faculty and staff in multiple communities of learning;
- construct a community identity through engagement with campus and community life;
- navigate institutional structures and processes to develop self advocacy skills;
- identify with the university’s mission and values while finding inspiration in SF State’s rich history and;
- learn to appreciate diverse ways of being, belonging, learning and living, that may be different from their own experiences and identities.
At the core of their first year experience at San Francisco State University, students will be inspired to take an active role in their education because experience teaches.