Undergraduate Requirements

Undergraduate students must complete the CSU Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR). You may enroll in GWAR after you pass English 214 OR its equivalent, including appropriate transfer courses or CMS courses, with a grade of Credit or C- or higher.

To fulfill the GWAR, take a GWAR-designated course. In fall 2013, all majors offer one or more GWAR-designated courses. Your major may require a GWAR-designated course or offer one as an elective in the major. Check the Approved GWAR Courses to see which courses your major offers.

The JEPET exam that students used to take to fulfill GWAR is no longer being given.English 414 is still offered and may be taken for GWAR credit BUT students should note that, while passing English 414 will fulfill GWAR, their majors may require a specific GWARcourse in the major.

Students with multilingual backgrounds who have completed all or most of their previous education in the United States may substitute ENG 410 for ENG 414 only if they qualify for ENG 410 on the basis of their ESLPT scores or receive permission from the Composition for Multilingual Students coordinator.

Students who have passed the GWAR at another CSU have fulfilled their upper division writing requirement at SF State. Contact your advisor or the Director of WAC: wac@sfsu.edu


(415) 338-2206

ueap @sfsu.edu

Division of Undergraduate Education and Academic Planning
ADM 447 | San Francisco State University | 1600 Holloway Avenue | San Francisco, CA 94132